Most CMS emphasis SEO nowadays, but still – it’s very clear that some are better for SEO than others.
There’s quite a consensus around WordPress as a great CMS for SEO for example, however, many businesses, mainly startups are using their own CMS.
Then they come to us to help them adjust the CMS and make it SEO compatible.
So i thought – why not just put it on the blog so that businesses (especially startups) could help themselves.
So here’s the list:
Technical SEO Features:
- Customizable Title Tags and Meta Descriptions: The ability to customize title tags and meta descriptions for each page to optimize click-through rates and provide concise descriptions.
- SEO-Friendly URLs: The CMS should allow for customizable, clean, and descriptive URLs (permalinks) that include relevant keywords.
- Header Tags (H1, H2, H3, etc.): The option to use header tags to structure content and emphasize the hierarchy of information on the page.
- Canonical Tags: Support for specifying canonical URLs to prevent duplicate content issues.
- Robots.txt and XML Sitemap Support: Tools to generate and manage robots.txt files and XML sitemaps, which help search engines crawl and index the website effectively.
- 301 Redirects: Ability to set up 301 redirects for outdated or moved content to maintain link equity.
- Mobile-Friendly and Responsive Design: Ensuring the CMS supports responsive design for mobile optimization, which is crucial for SEO.
- Schema Markup Integration: The option to add structured data markup to enhance rich snippets in search results.
Content Management Features:
- User-Friendly Content Editor: A WYSIWYG editor that supports easy formatting of content with basic HTML capabilities.
- Image Alt Tags: The ability to add alternative text to images for accessibility and SEO.
- Content Versioning: A system for tracking and reverting to previous content versions to avoid SEO disasters caused by accidental changes.
- Internal Link Management: Features to help create and manage internal links effectively.
- Category and Tagging System: Support for categorizing and tagging content, which can improve site structure and user experience.
Performance and Security:
- Page Load Speed Optimization: Tools or plugins to optimize page load speed, including image compression, browser caching, and minimizing HTTP requests.
- Secure Hosting: Ensuring that the CMS is hosted on a secure platform with HTTPS to boost SEO rankings.
- SSL Support: Ability to easily enable and manage SSL certificates for secure connections.
- Security Plugins: Integration with or support for security plugins to protect against malware, spam, and other security threats.
User and Accessibility Features:
- Role-Based Access Control: The capability to assign different user roles with varying levels of access and permissions to prevent unauthorized changes.
- Accessibility Features: Compliance with WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) to ensure the website is accessible to all users.
Performance Analytics and SEO Tools:
- Integration with SEO Plugins: Compatibility with popular SEO plugins and tools like Yoast SEO or All in One SEO Pack.
- Google Analytics Integration: Easy integration with Google Analytics for tracking website performance.
- Search Console Integration: Support for Google Search Console to monitor website indexing and performance in search results.
- Keyword Research and Tracking: Built-in tools or integration with third-party tools for keyword research and tracking rankings.
Social Media Integration:
- Social Sharing Options: Tools to add social sharing buttons and integrate with social media accounts.
- Open Graph and Twitter Cards: Support for implementing Open Graph and Twitter Card meta tags for improved social media sharing.
E-commerce and Local SEO (if applicable):
- E-commerce Integration: Support for product listings, reviews, and structured data for e-commerce sites.
- Local SEO Features: Tools to optimize for local search, including Google My Business integration and local schema markup.
Ongoing Support and Updates:
- Regular Updates: Ensure the CMS receives regular updates and support for the latest SEO best practices and algorithm changes.
- Community and Documentation: Access to a supportive community and comprehensive documentation for problem-solving.